De La Soul announce a Kickstarter campaign to fund their eighth studio album and reach the goal within a day!
De La Soul have tonnes of love for their fans right now. The trio announced a Kickstarter campaign and surpassed the $110,000 by $100,000 (at the time of writing) within 24 hours. The heading of the campaign reads:
“Welcome 2 making magic. The time has finally come: De La Soul is ready to record a new studio LP.”
And The Anonymous Nobody will be De La Soul’s first serious LP since 2004’s spectacular The Grind Date. Not to be forgotten is the 2012 album Plug 1 & Plug 2 Present… First Serve in which Kelvin ‘Pos‘ Mercer and David ‘Trugoy‘ Jolicoeur rapped as alter ego group ‘First Serve‘. Official recording will begin in April but Trugoy stated:
“One way to look at this is that we’re sampling ourselves. So far, we’ve got over 200 hours of tape—we’ve been recording this music for years and finally we’ve got what we need to make the best De La Soul record ever.”
The group have had copyright issues in the past concerning samples and released their entire discography for free last February for the 25th Anniversary of 3 Feet High And Rising. And The Anonymous Nobody will feature Damon Albarn (on a track called “Snoopies”), 2 Chainz (“Whodini”), Little Dragon (“Drawn”), and David Byrne.
The prizes offered up are impressive to say the least and include:
- THE SPECIAL GUEST: Dinner with De La Soul including a backstage pass at a gig ($5000 or more).
- TOY HUNTIN’: An afternoon of toy hunting with Trugoy and a signed toy from his personal collection ($2000 or more).
- THE BOOM BOX: Receive an original, old-school boom box from Trugoy’s personal collection ($1500 or more).
- COMPOSITION TIME: Receive an autographed, hand-written lyric sheet of a De La Soul song of your choice ($350 or more).
- TALK TO ME PACK: A Skype date with Pos, Trugoy and Mase ($300 or more).
The top reward has already gone: Trugoy’s very own 3 Feet High And Rising platinum plaque straight off the wall of his office.
Fancy yourself a De La Soul ultra-fan? Donate for your own reward on their Kickstarter page. Check the video below!